grub-devel

Re: LVM on debian

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: LVM on debian
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:07:51 +0100

Hi Martin!

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:10:18PM +0100, Martin Braure de Calignon wrote:
> I've just try for the first time grub2.
>
> I'm on debian/unstable (grub2 version 1.95+20080105)
> I have only one thing to say. It's simply amazing !
> I love it !

Glad to hear that.

> I have an lvm /usr partition. And everything works great.
> I only have to look on /etc/grub.d/10_linux to see what was the variable
> for command line option of the kernel.

Yeah I'm afraid we lack documentation.  We could use some help on that ;-)

> So I had to had GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX on /etc/default/grub. I also have to
> edit /etc/grub.d/00_header because grub does not work if he cannot
> access to the font (that are on my /usr partition).

There's something wrong here.  update-grub is supposed to detect when your
/usr is inaccessible and disable font automaticaly.  You mean that it
falls back to text mode, or that it won't install/boot at all?

> So I added "insmod
> lvm" before font loading.

Ah yes, this is a long-standing issue..

> Thanks all for your work. Now I'm looking forward to the next upload of
> grub2 on debian to have TGA image support :-)

I can't yet!  I'm waiting for #459352

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)