[Groff] refer, mom and inline references

From: Robin Haberkorn
Subject: [Groff] refer, mom and inline references
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 17:35:48 +0200

Hello,

I know a lot has been written on this mailing list about refer and its
mom integration.
However, I still don't quite get it.
Currently I'm writing my bachelor thesis in groff -mom. It was
relatively easy to imitate the LaTex template they were providing,
including Computer Modern fonts and so on but I'm still struggling
with refer.
I would like to have inline references in an abbreviated form (like
[AUTHORYEAR]) and a bibliography with all references automatically
collected.

As I understand mom's refer support and as I was able to verify it,
mom provides the following possibilities:
 * footnote references
 * endnote references
 * inline references
 * bibliographies

When I use endnote references, mom will merely insert a small
superscript number into the running text.
When I use inline references my references are put inline with no
apparent way of customizing the inline citation style.
When I use a .BIBLIOGRAPHY and refer's "accumulate" option, my
references are neatly accumulated into the bibliography but no longer
occur inline, neither with .REF, nor with .REF[. I guess this has
something to do with refer no longer emitting the start/end reference
macros and string definitions for mom to format.

Any pointers on how to achieve what I want?

Would I be able to at least get automatically formatted inline
references in the [AUTHORYEAR] style using refer's label feature with
a *manually* populated bibliography?
I guess I would have to write custom .[- and .][ macros and bypass
mom's .REF macros altogether.

Best regards,
Robin