Re: [Groff] groff - me /texte français

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff - me /texte français
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 19:20:59 +0100

Hi,

> The commands you send to me works fine for me too. My point is: in
> place of:
> $ printf 'test\xe9\n' | groff -me -mlatin9 -X
> it would be much faster and easier to write
> $ printf 'testé' | groff -me -mlatin9 -X
> but this command doesn't work

troff takes ISO-8859-1 as its default input.  If you want to feed it
UTF-8 then look at groff's -k option.  Try

    printf 'testé\n' | groff -k -me -X

> I don't understand what is the use of -mlatin9 because
> $ printf 'test\xe9\n' | groff -me -mlatin9 -X
> ...give the same result as
> $ printf 'test\xe9\n' | groff -me -X

troff's default for input is ISO-8859-1.  9 is very similar to 1 so you
aren't seeing any differences in your test.  Using a Euro symbol may
help.

Cheers, Ralph.