Re: [Groff] refer, mom and inline references

From: Robin Haberkorn
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer, mom and inline references
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:58:16 +0200

Hello Peter,

2013/8/11 Peter Schaffter <address@hidden>:
> At the top of your file,
>
>   .R1
>     label "(A.n|Q) ', ' D.y"
>     bracket-label " (" ")\c" ""
>     join-authors ", and " ", " ", and "
>     reverse A1
>     sort A1Q1T1B1E1
>     database <path to database>
>   .R2
>
> With this setup, references entered without a preceding .REF are
> inserted into running text.  For example,
>
>   end of sentence
>   .[
>   keywords
>   .]
>   \&. A new sentence.

Works like a charm, thanks!

> will produce "end of sentence (author's last name, date). A new
> sentence."
>
> To add a page or page-range number
>
>   end of sentence
>   .[
>   [ keywords
>   .], p. 168)\c
>   \&. A new sentence.
>
> will produce "end of sentence (author's last name, date, p. 168). A
> new sentence."

Now I see why there are bracket flags :-)

> is all that's required.  There's no need for an additional refer
> block.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes, that works very well.
I wonder why I thought I'd need custom .]- and .][ macros since refer
inserts the labels just fine on its own.
Turns out, the \c at the EOL before my citation blocks somehow
suppressed the entire label automatically inserted by refer.
Strange groff world...

Best regards,
Robin