Re: [Groff] refer, mom and inline references

From: Robin Haberkorn
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer, mom and inline references
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 19:11:01 +0200

2013/8/9 jjbrioist <address@hidden>:
> Le vendredi 09 août 2013 à 17:35 +0200, Robin Haberkorn a écrit :
> Hello Robin,
>
> I was facing the same issue as you, although I am using -ms for the time.
> I use the -S option to get inline references.
>
> Assume you have the following entry in your
> xxx.bib file :
>
> %A John Robert
> %T Measuring steel bar tension using X-rays
> %D 1993
> %K X-rays dynamometer steel
> %L Steel Res. 35
> %R Steel Res.
> %N 35
> %I Springer
> %C Cleveland
>

> and your text reads something like
>
> .BD
> Lately my life
>  .[[
> Robert
>  .]]
> has become more complicated.
> .R
> .DE
> .LP
>
> (take care of the double brackets). Compile this with
>
>> refer -pxxx.bib -e -S thesis.ms > aux.ms
>> groff -ms aux.ms > thesis.ps

Hello Jean,

I wonder how this could work. Perhaps -ms implementations of ]- and ][
do the label insertion appropriately.
The manual refer preprocessing however is definitely not necessary
since refer -S is just a short cut to defining a label string (you
could embed that in .R1/.R2 sections).

I have now found an ugly solution that works with -mom.
I use something like this near the top of my document:

.R1
# this extracts the last name of the first author and the publication date
label A.nD.y
database biblio.ref
.R2
\# Save Mom's version of ]- and ][
.rn ]- MOM-REFER-BEGIN
\# Provide my own versions: the brackets are inserted automatically so
you don't need
\# .[[ and .]] or "[]" in the flags field
\# \f(SC merely sets a small-caps font
\# [F contains the label as generated by refer
.ds ]- [\f(SC\\*([F\fP]\c
.rn ][ MOM-REFER-END
.ds ][

References can then be inserted without mom's .REF macros:
.[
whatever
.]

And to generate the bibliography I do:

\# restore mom's ]- and ][
.rn MOM-REFER-BEGIN ]-
.rn MOM-REFER-END ][
.
.BIBLIOGRAPHY
.BIBLIOGRAPHY_TYPE LIST
.R1
no-label-in-text
no-label-in-reference
sort A1Q1T1B1E1
reverse A1
bibliography biblio.ref
.R2
.BIBLIOGRAPHY OFF

So while for ordinary inline references I did the formatting with
custom macros, in the bibliography I let mom do it.
The entire database (biblio.ref) is inserted by refer, which is fine
as long as I do not have a real database (with lots of entries) but
one that contains only the publications I have ever referred to in the
main body of the text.

regards,
Robin