Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?

From: Jeff Zhang
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:01:17 +0800

On 3/14/07, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Try this:
> >
> >   .ds SUNEXT SUNEXT00 \
> >              SUNEXT01 \
> >              ...      \
> >              SUNEXTff
> >
> >   .special \*[SUNEXT]
> >

> >     Werner
>
> It works, though it takes longer time to finish than the assigned
> one.

Of course it is slower due to the sequential searching operations.
Can you estimate how much slower it is?

with the same sample file:
0.09s user 0.02s system 14% cpu 0.725 total
3.78s user 0.36s system 60% cpu 6.827 total

Some addition works, like preprocessing or fast indexing, should
> make things better.

Contrary to TeX, groff PS fonts can contain more than 256 glyphs.  To
get fast indexing, use fontforge to convert your CFF or CID font into
a PFA font with more than 256 glyphs -- fontforge will issue a warning
whether this is what you really want to do; just say yes.

I've  tried it,  it works,  though fontforge gives warn message "your font
has a 2 byte encoding..."  when generating pfa font.
Groff will produce a bigger ps file, but it shrink much after ps2pdf.

And I also tried Heirloom Documentation Tools, it seems just works for
normal otf file not for my generated pfb file to produce utf8 contained
file. And CID otf files from Adobe not works too.