Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:45:49 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Whatever you do please bear in mind that the original groff doesn't
> have real CJK typography support; contrary to LaTeX it's not possible
> to implement inter-character stretching and breaking on the macro
> level.
>
> Perhaps heirloom troff is better suited (both the font and the CJK
> support)...  Gunnar?

I do not know much about CJK typography.

Heirloom troff cannot handle CID-keyed fonts. However,
as long as the font is not CID-keyed, there should be
no problems using it, and it should be possible to
input text in any LC_CTYPE encoding, UTF-8, Big5,
etc., at least on Linux and Solaris. (I have heard
that BSD systems do not use Unicode for wchar_t in
CJK locales, which would break the input conversion,
but I do not know for certain if it is true).

There is support for automatic inter-character
stretching in Heirloom troff but not for breaking
lines between characters. Actually, Solaris troff
contains some code for the latter, but it is not
useful for me as it relies on proprietary locale
extensions. It is currently #undef'd in Heirloom
troff, cf. the ZWDELIMS definitions in n7.c.

        Gunnar