Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:06:35 +0100

"Jeff Zhang" <address@hidden> wrote:

> And I also tried Heirloom Documentation Tools, it seems just works for
> normal otf file not for my generated pfb file to produce utf8 contained
> file.

This is because the OpenType font contains a Unicode mapping
table (i.e. a table that says "U+E046 is named Q.alt" etc.).
Such tables get lost when an OpenType font is converted to
Type 1 since the latter format lacks support for them. For
Type 1, troff currently has internal mappings defined for
Latin and Cyrillic characters only.

> And CID otf files from Adobe not works too.

There is currently no support for them in Heirloom troff
so this is not a surprise.

        Gunnar