Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?

From: Jeff Zhang
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:04:29 +0800

On 3/13/07, Jeff Zhang <address@hidden> wrote:

On 3/13/07, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > May I use the chinese pfb files converted by subfonts.pe from CJK
> > package?
>
> Yes.  However, I have never tried it actually.  The idea would be to
> use groff's fallback mechanism to make it automatically select the
> subfonts -- this is similar to symbol fonts which groff uses only if
> it can't find the glyph in the current font.
> restrictions in groff's character representation, you have to convert
> the input encoding to something which groff can digest.
>
> I do the follow steps to make a test, it seems groff can't find font:
1. afmtodit sunext*.afm textmap SUNEXT*
2. pfbtopfa sunext*.pfb
3. move SUNEXT* sunext*.pfa to ~/share/groff/1.19.3/font/devps
4. add `sunext??? sunext???.pfa ` to
~/share/groff/1.19.3/font/devps/dowload

then groff an example with:
groff -Kutf8 1.me >tt.ps

it complains:
1.me:1: warning: can't find font `SUNEX9a'
1.me:2: warning: can't find special character `u4E2D'
1.me:2: warning: can't find special character `u6587'

sorry, I misstaked the font name., it works in the end.
Using fontforge to find which chinese glyphs in the pfa file ( like
sunex9a.pfa), then just input some of those glyphs will give correct ps
file. If It can use groff's fallback mechanism, it should  be works,
however, I don't know how to do it. :)