Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:06:38 +0100 (CET)

> The document of grops gives a font installation guide, is it suite
> for chines font and is it possible to embed chinese font into ps
> file with grops?

This is possible.  However, since grops doesn't do font subsetting, it
is advisable to do

  PS -> PDF -> PS

to reduce the size (usually from, say, 10 MByte to a few kByte).

> May I use the chinese pfb files converted by subfonts.pe from CJK
> package?

Yes.  However, I have never tried it actually.  The idea would be to
use groff's fallback mechanism to make it automatically select the
subfonts -- this is similar to symbol fonts which groff uses only if
it can't find the glyph in the current font.

Note that you should use the CVS version for experiments: Due to
restrictions in groff's character representation, you have to convert
the input encoding to something which groff can digest.

I'm very interested in results!  If you need help please don't
hesitate to ask here again.  On the other hand, I can't help you in
case you want to use the Debian extension which comes with some CJK
support.

Whatever you do please bear in mind that the original groff doesn't
have real CJK typography support; contrary to LaTeX it's not possible
to implement inter-character stretching and breaking on the macro
level.

Perhaps heirloom troff is better suited (both the font and the CJK
support)...  Gunnar?