Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?

From: Jeff Zhang
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:23:29 +0800

On 3/13/07, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> May I use the chinese pfb files converted by subfonts.pe from CJK
> package?

Yes.  However, I have never tried it actually.  The idea would be to
use groff's fallback mechanism to make it automatically select the
subfonts -- this is similar to symbol fonts which groff uses only if
it can't find the glyph in the current font.
restrictions in groff's character representation, you have to convert
the input encoding to something which groff can digest.

I do the follow steps to make a test, it seems groff can't find font:
1. afmtodit sunext*.afm textmap SUNEXT*
2. pfbtopfa sunext*.pfb
3. move SUNEXT* sunext*.pfa to ~/share/groff/1.19.3/font/devps
4. add `sunext??? sunext???.pfa ` to ~/share/groff/1.19.3/font/devps/dowload

then groff an example with:
groff -Kutf8 1.me >tt.ps

it complains:
1.me:1: warning: can't find font `SUNEX9a'
1.me:2: warning: can't find special character `u4E2D'
1.me:2: warning: can't find special character `u6587'