Re: [Groff] Problems with unwanted unicode.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problems with unwanted unicode.
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:11:43 +0200 (CEST)

> I am playing with groff.  But I need ISO Latin 2 characters
> in postscript output.  I created devpsil2 device which works
> to some point.  If I use characters with diacritics these
> are processed well and displayed only if not two or more
> of them are one after ather.  My english is not wery well.
> I explain it :
> if ascii character is A and character with diacritics
> (from Latin 2 char set) is D then sequence AADADA goes well.
> but if there are AADDA then the two DD transform to one unicode
> character and link G or N font which I think is nippon charset.
>
> How to disable this functionality in groff to see well formated
> Latin 2 Postscript?

I must admit that I don't understand what you are saying.  It seems
that you are using a special version of groff, since the standard
distribution doesn't contain support for Japanese.  The situation you
are describing is not possible with the default groff.

Additionally, there is no Unicode input support yet but partial
Unicode output support.  If you only need TTY output, it is easy to
write a simple latin-2 input encoding file which maps the input
character codes to groff's internal glyph names which are in turn
converted to Unicode output.

You should contact Stanislaw Ciszewski <address@hidden> who is
actually using latin-2 with groff.