Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:37:31 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2004-03-20 07:18:47 +0000 Wim Oudshoorn <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hm, what about "Documentation"?  Because as far as I can see
>> all the links under "Resources" are documentation related
>> (if you can call a mailing list documentation).
>
> Well, almost the entire site is probably documentation in some way.

Ah, yes, that is true :-)

[snipped diff version of proposal for new sidebar]

I think it is an improvement.

> -Contributors
> +External

I liked the word Contributors, so I am a little sad to see it go.
But more, if the external heading means "outside the gnustep.org"
site, what is "Who's Who?" still doing there?

Ok, lets throw in another suggestion (which I will not backup
with an effort to make it happen, so usual disclaimers apply)

Old                   Ray                   Wim
---                   ---                   ---

General              General                General
  Home page            Home page              Home page
  About GNUstep        Introduction           Introduction
  Mission              Mission                Mission
  Platforms            Platforms              Platforms
  Download             Download               Progress
  Applications         Applications
  Progress             Progress             Users
                       User FAQ               Applications
Resources                                     Getting Started
  Getting Started    Developers               User FAQ
  Frameworks           Getting Started
  Related Links        The Suite            Developers
  Wiki Docs            Deveoper FAQ           Getting Started
  User FAQ                                    The Suite
  Mailing Lists      External                 Tools
                       Wiki Docs              Developer FAQ
Contributors           Mailing Lists
  Project Page         Project page         Contributors
  Who's Who?           Who's Who?             Project Page
  Libraries                                   Who's Who?
  Developer FAQ      Mirrors...               Getting Started

Related Sites...                            Downloads...

Mirrors...                                  Mirrors...

What I like about my version:

* clearly separated target audiences
* no long general section

What I do NOT like about my version:

* No link to the WIKI
* No mentioning of the mailing lists
* More work on reorganizing the content than Ray's version.
* Is longer than Ray's version.

Wim Oudshoorn