Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:57:54 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> Sidebar is displaying incorrect text sizes here. Did you remove some
> style info?

No, but it is a stylesheet from a few weeks ago.  I noticed a few
differences between my wget copy and the actual website, so
I guess the stylesheet is changed.

> We can probably generate these settings from the top directory's
> secondary.html.template file if we think about it hard
> enough.

Seems good idea.  But after reading the Adam's and your e-mails
I think we need the following:

xyz.texi -- [texi2html] -->  html version without stylesheets.
                             This as documentation for someone
                             downloads the sources

xyz.texi ---------------\
                         [texi2html] --> version for on the website
html.template --[wget?]-/                  |
                                    [some publishing mechanism]

                                     www.gnustep.org

And both recipes can be executed by a simple command, say

    make xyz.html
    make xyz.html-and-publish-on-gnustep

This makes it simple to use, but on the other had, it feels wrong
that the make package will contain parts specific for the website.

So maybe there should be a tool in some "gnustep website" repository
that does

make-cvs--[cvs]-->faq.texi --\
                              [texi2html]--> faq.html --[??]--> www.gnustep.org
web-cvs --[cvs]-->html.templ--/

> I still haven't documented the retemplater.

What is the "retemplater"?

Wim Oudshoorn.