Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:23:49 +0100

Concerning the appearances of the FAQ's on www.gnustep.org:

Adam Fedor <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 03:25 PM, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
>>
>> * Configure the navigation panels
>>   It seems that texi2html.init file gives some room for
>>   configuring how to generate the navigation menus.  I think
>>   you can put them off, but well,  it is my *first* look at it.
>>
>> * Allow some configuration of the heading of the generated html file
>>   Although this seems very limited I am not sure if you can use this
>>   to use the stylesheet.
>
> I've already got an init file which does style sheets
> (make/Documentation/gnustep.init), but I guess I never committed the
> flag to use it in the GNUmakefile

I have looked a little and it and the result can be found here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~woudshoo/GNUstep/FAQ-experiment/userfaq_toc.html

the link

http://www.xs4all.nl/~woudshoor/GNUsep/FAQ-experiment/

contains a description of how it is generated and the input files
being used.  It basically contains a copy of the rest of the
message:

Things I have changed to get this
---------------------------------

* Added @title in the /userfaq.texi/ to get rid of
  the *Unknown title* in  the browser window title.

* Created a new /gnustep.init/ file to feed /texi2html/.
  Note I only tested it with version 1.64, the version
  Adam uses.  I had problems with version 1.66.

* Created a new file /links.input/ which is now also used by
  /texi2html/ to generate the sidebar.

* Changed the command invocation of /texi2html/ from

    texi2html -split_chapter -expandinfo userfaq.texi

    texi2html -init_file=./gnustep.init -split_chapter -expandinfo userfaq.texi

Remaining problems

* I removed all navigation rows.  This is probably to drastic, perhaps
  at the top and bottom of the page there should be some non-intrusive
  navigation bar.

* I just hacked the init script.  I do not know a lot about perl
  (which it is) and so this is probably not the /Right way/.

* It just seems a good idea to split the sidebar in a file of its own.
  But it introduce a dependency on the /cat/ program and it creates an
  an extra file to maintain.

Wim Oudshoorn