gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping?

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping?
Date: 17 Jan 2003 19:41:31 +0100

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 18:39, Reinhard Mueller wrote:

> It might be that we mean different things when we talk about "die-hard
> normalization at any cost".

        What do you mean?

> > > We
> > > believe that data of business applications is mostly of relational
> > > nature.
> >
> >     This does not make sense.  The relational model certainly can represent
> > any data whatsoever.  This is a SQL failure, not a relational one.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand your statement, and maybe my statement was
> unclear (sorry I'm not a native English speaker).
> I was meaning that business data can usually be handeled very well using
> a relational model.

        It was me who was unclear, I too am not a native English speaker.  But
the problem in my phrase is that I didn't make clear what I objected to.

        What I don't agree with is the "mostly" qualification.  It should be
"all" IMNSHO.

> >     Now, if one wants to implement a valid D, that would be incredibly
> > nice, and even in scope (how can one build great apps withoug great DBs,
> > and how can great DBs be built without a true RDBMS?), but it is
> > certainly something to think about at least twice.
>
> Sorry, what is "a valid D"?

        Again my fault, I should have explained that D is a placeholder name
for any language (and therefore system) complying with the relational
model prescriptions and proscriptions, more specifically to Date &
Darwen's _The Third Manifesto_.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93