gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping

From: Daniel E Baumann
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:23:10 -0600

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:30:43PM -0600, Jason Cater wrote:
> Since we are sharing articles that have bookmarked, here is an article from a
> respected relational theorist and practicioner:
>
> http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci769023,00.html?FromTaxonomy=%2Fpr%2F284872
>   (entitled "OO for application development, not database management")
>
> He is affiliated with Codd (the originator of Relational database theory in
> the '70s) and Date (also helped pioneer relational databases.)
>
> These guys resumes go well beyond academic theorizing (is that a word :)
>
> One interesting point that I read place after place is that the integrity
> guarantees offered by relational database theory is based on solid
> mathematical principles -- OODBMS are not; they are just built on supposed
> market forces.  And relational data models are only as limited in
> functionality as you make them -- there's nothing that can be done in an
> OODBMS-paradigm than in a properly designed relational one... however I'd
> venture to say that the converse of that statement is not true.  Just food
> for thought.
>
> Well, that's my link for the day :)
>
> -- Jason

Well the article that I have linked is NOT about creating an OODBMS,
also the ODMG standard isn't about that either, imho. Relational
databases have a true data model, but what some ppl would like is to
not have to worry about doing data modeling but have the middleware
map the objects for them, i.e., an object-relational layer. The
article that I linked discusses 3 ways and their pros and cons. He
says that any middleware you write should implement all 3 and you
should be able to choose which method you want to use given the type
of application you are developing taking into account the underlying
circumstances. This is not an object v. relational war or something,
but a way to bridge the worlds together.

Dan
--
And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use

Was I helpful?  Let others know:
  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=chillywilly