gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:34:02 -0500

I think the goal should be a simple to understand method of modifying the system behavior by non information systems professionals. An object model (implemented well) is easy to explain to someone who is not up on the latest OODB vs relational issues. One can talk about purchase order objects, sales orders etc. In the relational world it real easy to lose the abstraction because of the need to normalize data.

There is no question that the relational model is useful, well understood, effective and may even be the best technical solution.

But whatever you call it, I think an abstraction above the relational database (or OODB) model is needed to make enterprise apps killer apps. We need to deal with user customization at a higher level (even thought the customization may flow down to this level in order to work.) Unfortunately, the ODMG standard does not (based on my limited review) help in this area. You really need to be technically savvy to use it.

What is the current thought regarding end user (non-technical) customization?

Neil