gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Object-Relational Mapping
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:30:43 -0600

Since we are sharing articles that have bookmarked, here is an article from a
respected relational theorist and practicioner:

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci769023,00.html?FromTaxonomy=%2Fpr%2F284872
  (entitled "OO for application development, not database management")

He is affiliated with Codd (the originator of Relational database theory in
the '70s) and Date (also helped pioneer relational databases.)

These guys resumes go well beyond academic theorizing (is that a word :)

One interesting point that I read place after place is that the integrity
guarantees offered by relational database theory is based on solid
mathematical principles -- OODBMS are not; they are just built on supposed
market forces.  And relational data models are only as limited in
functionality as you make them -- there's nothing that can be done in an
OODBMS-paradigm than in a properly designed relational one... however I'd
venture to say that the converse of that statement is not true.  Just food
for thought.

Well, that's my link for the day :)

-- Jason