Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Debderive

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Debderive
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:37:27 +0100

Stayvoid wrote:
I asked you to test this patch because I'm not sure that I can provide
a good check myself.
BTW, it's a golden rule for engineers to check something by two
different people in order to avoid bugs.

Sure, hence the Open Source motto "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow". Running the separate statements would be a good check.

Each of the modified statements can be easily checked in a python shell or
grouped together in a quick
test script.
Could you show me an example?
I've checked some errors in the shell, but I'm not sure that it can
help to avoid errors in the main code.

#!/usr/bin/env python

sys.stderr.write('Either filter_list or dist_codename '
    'must be given\n')
sys.stderr.write('Unable to create directory "%s"\n' % \
    path)
try:
    open('/usr/bin/reprepro')
except IOError:
    sys.stderr.write('Missing dependency: install reprepro '
        'and try again\n')
# etcetera

This tests the syntax of the output statements, and the try blocks if you temporarily rename the files (or use a dummy file name, like Karl did).

Could you provide separate patches (and rationale) for each fix?
Sure. Should I separate this one?

That would be nice.