Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Debderive

From: Stayvoid
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Debderive
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:27:51 +0300

Sam,

> I expect patches to have gone through some basic testing.
I asked you to test this patch because I'm not sure that I can provide
a good check myself.
BTW, it's a golden rule for engineers to check something by two
different people in order to avoid bugs.

> Each of the modified statements can be easily checked in a python shell or
> grouped together in a quick
> test script.
Could you show me an example?
I've checked some errors in the shell, but I'm not sure that it can
help to avoid errors in the main code.

> Could you provide separate patches (and rationale) for each fix?
Sure. Should I separate this one?

> It's a shame the GNU coding standards don't give a rationale for not ending
> error messages
> with a period.
I also have a grammar-related pro for this. In English you should
place periods and commas inside the quotation marks. But it may cause
a confusion if you write something like this: "/usr/bin." I don't
think that it's a popular problem, but it's always better to avoid
one.

Cheers