Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Constructivne Comment request

From: Chris Rogers
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Constructivne Comment request
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:40:02 +0100

Hi,

I've just read Michelle's article via your link and I have to agree with her. I've been playing around with Linux on and off for several years and each time a new distro appears, I eagerly grab a copy and burn it to CD, either as a LiveCD or as a full installation on an old Compaq Deskpro lurking under the desk, hoping that I'll be able to turn my back on M$ after 20 years in IT support, going back to CP/M and MS-DOS v3.

Mostly I finish up disappointed. Ubuntu 8.04 LTS seems to get closest to a usable desktop system but still isn't quite there yet - certainly not for the typical Windows user.

Other distros tend to fail in one way or another, sometimes quite spectacularly. Two distros (Fedora? Debian? Mandriva? OpenSUSE? - can't remember...) left me with a blank screen at startup when they switched from text mode to graphics. gNewSense, which I'd read about on this list, couldn't even find the Ethernet port on the motherboard. :o(

As techies, we sometimes forget that for the typical user, the PC isn't an end in itself. Mostly, all they want to do is read their email, surf the web, get music and play games. They don't want to know about the stuff inside, in the same way as most people don't know what goes on under the bonnet of their car.

Some of the Free Software movement's stuff is outstanding. OpenOffice and Firefox are both showing M$ how it should be done. They just get better and better with each new release.

I'm holding on for a Linux distro that will do that too.

Chris