Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:06:31 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
Lucy <address@hidden> wrote:
Manchester Free Software was formed in response to a growing apparent
need for a group based in the Manchester area that focuses on free
software and GNU/Linux primarily, but also on topics such as Digital
Restrictions Management and other issues which impact on the freedoms
of computer users.

The "but also..." phrase seems a little stilted to me but I can't
quite identify the reason.  I also dislike passive expressions and
long sentences.  I suggest rewording to:-

Manchester Free Software serves a growing apparent need for a group
based in the Manchester area that focuses primarily on free software
and GNU/Linux.  It also covers topics which impact on the freedoms of
computer users, such as Digital Restrictions Management.

I would prefer switching "but also..." to "and also..."

---
Manchester Free Software was formed in response to a growing apparent
need for a group based in the Manchester area that focuses on free
software and GNU/Linux primarily, and also on topics such as Digital
Restrictions Management and other issues which impact on the freedoms
of computer users.
---

This take the emphasis off the second section of the sentence and highlights the bit about Free Software & GNU/Linux.

--
www.tdobson.net
----