Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:52:41 +0000

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 18:29 +0000, Chris Croughton wrote:

> Well, if it's in a shop you can take it back and complain (especially if
> you have paid for it, even if all you really paid for was the
> packaging), if you download it there's no one to sue.

Ever tried complaining to the person you bought software from that it
had a bug in it? Ever tried suing a software company eg MS because their
product wasn't fit for purpose?

Talk of suing is in practice marketing rhetoric. I know of know
successful lawsuit against a shrink wrapped software supplier of any
real size so its not a practical possibility. Its useful for software
suppliers to give the perception that you might be able to sue them ;-)
Surely we should be dispelling this myth, not perpetuating it.

--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
ZMS Ltd