Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:47:04 +0000

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 23:09 +0000, Paul wrote:
> http://www.comparesoft.com/compareweb.html looks like either Moz or
> Opera.

It's actually NVu.

> Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there something in the
> GPL which prohibits this sort of activity? There is nothing on the site
> to say where the code came from, but the screenshots look very familiar.

Well, the in T&Cs of the site, it mentions that software comes under the
Mozilla public licence or the GPL. So, they are aware of this issue.

It's one of Michael Robertson's companies (same person behind
Lindows/Linspire), so I imagine it is being done legally. They also
funded work into at least one of those apps (Nvu), and seem to be
putting work into packaging these bits up into commercial boxes. Seems
ok to me.