Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!

From: Paul Tansom
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:49:04 +0000

** Alex Hudson <address@hidden> [2006-01-29 17:13]:
> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 23:09 +0000, Paul wrote:
> > http://www.comparesoft.com/compareweb.html looks like either Moz or
> > Opera.
>
> It's actually NVu.
>
> > Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there something in the
> > GPL which prohibits this sort of activity? There is nothing on the site
> > to say where the code came from, but the screenshots look very familiar.
>
> Well, the in T&Cs of the site, it mentions that software comes under the
> Mozilla public licence or the GPL. So, they are aware of this issue.
>
> It's one of Michael Robertson's companies (same person behind
> Lindows/Linspire), so I imagine it is being done legally. They also
> funded work into at least one of those apps (Nvu), and seem to be
> putting work into packaging these bits up into commercial boxes. Seems
> ok to me.
** end quote [Alex Hudson]

There's a bit in the Michaels Minute blog (now separated from being an
official Linspire thing) about it. The idea is to present the software
as a packaged product that can be picked up from store shelves to get
more people to use it (as it take advantage of the fact that they can,
rather than specifically wanting to increase userbase for a particular
package)- or at least that's the way I remember reading it back in
November when he wrote about it [1]. I haven't actually gone back to
re-read it though. The link is below for anyone interested.

[1] http://michaelrobertson.com/archive.php?minute_id=195

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com