Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU Ambassadors vote to back Software Patents

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU Ambassadors vote to back Software Patents
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 01:13:08 +0100

Here the answer I wrote to Malcolm Harbour: Maybe some of my answers give you some ideas what to write about....

Ralph Janke

Ralph Janke wrote:

Dear Mr Harbour,

thank you for your answer to my e-mail. I appreciate the effort you make.

Malcolm Harbour wrote:

Dear Mr Janke,
Thank you for your letter regarding the vote at the end of last year on the patentability of computer-implemented inventions (software patents)in the European Parliament. The European Commission published the draft Directive in February of last year as it become increasingly clear that European law on patenting software needed to be clarified.

I do agree with you. It is very urgent that this issue obtains clarification. Many small and medium-sized businesses are threatened by the lack of clarity. This does not only pertain to businesses in the software field, but any business, since virtually all businesses are using ICT equipment and software in order to run their business. The risk for being suit for patent infringement for using software that violates "invalid" software are risks that small and medium-sized businesses can not afford to take. The resources to defend themselves are too high, therefore those businesses are forced to use software by a small number of corporations, in turn limiting choice, in turn limiting competition, in turn limiting innovation and fair prices.

The aim of the Directive is to set out and defend the status quo in Europe following changes to the patent system in the USA and also planned for Japan.

The status quo is already too close to the USA situation. I just want to refer to the Bromcom case here in the UK. There is absolutely no novelty in the patent that would not be regarded by any IT professional as common sense, however the patent was still granted and now leads to a prolonged court battle.

There is a clear intention across the EU Member States to see that Europe does not follow the USA and Japan in allowing widespread patent availability for software and business methods. Copyright will remain the principal method of protecting intellectual property in these cases. I and my UK Conservative colleagues supported the general line that the Commission took which builds on and clarifies the existing patent law across the European Union and makes it clear that only software which forms part of a technological process will be patentable.

However, the comission clearly does not follow your described goal. The commision allows far too lax patent requirements in order to protect small and medium-sized businesses. Small and medium-sized businesses do not have the funds or resources to battle big corporations with their armies of lawyers in prolonged trials. Therefore the idea of patents must go back to its origin --- to protect the small business. Small businesses can not afford to patent their ideas all over the world. The process is far too complex and costly. ANd even with a granted patent, small businesses do not have the resources to protext their claims against the big corporations.

Therefore patentability should be limited to the cases were innovation would be hampered without it (i.e. pharmaceuticals which development and especially approval are so expensive that a monopoly to protect the investment is justfied).

This will allow patents to be provided for genuine technical inventions and stimulate European economic development in areas of economic strength like mobile telephony, digital television and computer controlled machine tools to name just a few possibilities.

The question is which way will improve innovation and help small and medium-sized businesses? What will create an environment that is conductive to entrepeneurship? Most small businesses are founded by people that have an innovative idea that their previous employer does not use. However if they are running in a minefield of patents that they can not afford to buy licenses for, how should they ever startup their businesses ?

I believe that the radical change of making the patent system more permissive or more restrictive is unjustified. The legal thresholds for granting software patents in the USA and Japan are set too low and recent court cases in the USA have led to patents being granted for computer-implemented service activities.

I agree with you that the threshold for granting patents in the USA are far too low.

In Europe, the granting of patents has always required a technical effect. I agree with the European Commission and the UK Government that the American approach will not stimulate innovation in Europe.

Why are you then supporting the commision with a draft that creates a situation that is not unlikely to the situation in the USA ?

Change through a more restrictive approach to the patenting of generic software, algorithms and business methods creates more problems than it resolves.

Why? It was tradition, that ideas, algorithm and software could not be patented. Patents are a granted monopoly. In order for someone to obtain such a monopoly in a free-market society, there should be a good justification for it. As I mentioned before, it would be detrimental if medication would not be developed, because companies could not recouperate their costs of development and speciafically approval. However, the software industry is different. The idea of a progress bar, or the usage of roll call software via standard wireless networks (as in the Bromcom case) do not justify such a grant of a monopoly. In general software is very well protected by copyright, since the implementation of the software is the expensive part not the "invention" of it. What benefit to the free-market system would such a monopoly have in contrast with competing companies being encouraged to innovate in order to distinguish their product by quality of implementation, support, and price.

The alternative is Microsoft style software that is protected by patents and lacks in support, stability and security.

It would question the validity of existing patents and discourage innovation, leading to greater uncertainty in the technology market. Such an approach would also conflict with national laws in the Member States; international treaties including TRIPS, and existing practice in Europe.

I believe it is time to question existing patents that should have never been granted. Or is it now the plan of the conservatives to increase government by higher number of patent fees? Also, international law concerning copyright is very different to the treaties concerning patents. It is tradition that patents are granted by each souveran country on their own terms. This argument rather sounds like an suggestion to follow the developments in the USA. How otherwise could they change their patent laws without violating international agreements?

The proposed Directive would set a fair test for software (deciding whether it has a technical effect) before authorising a patent. Any technical invention in a field outside software can be patented so it does not make sense for technical inventions, which happen to use computers to be excluded from the system. The Parliament is proposing amendments to clarify the text while ensuring that its principles are supported. Codification of the existing position will also avoid raising complicated issues of the validity of existing patents across Europe or allowing current unpatentable technologies to claim new patents. This will allow European businesses the chance to develop ideas with certainty as to their legal position. It will also reduce the pressure from companies holding permissive American software patents who wish to gain an extension of their patent rights in Europe.

The proposed directive does not set a fair test. That is why all the ammendment by the European Parliament are necessary to remedy this problem. Codification of the currently wrong position is not a way out of the problem, but makes it just more difficult for small and medium-sized businesses to protect themselves. How comes, that the directive is so heavily sponsored by Microsoft through the Irish government and not my small and medium-sized business associations. How comes that in Sweden Nokia is supporting the proposal, but small and medium sized businesses are warning of the consequences ?

Parliament approved the principle of a clarifying directive by a substantial majority, thus moving the proposal to its next stage of negotiations between the EU Member Governments (Council) and the European Commission. The political objectives of providing the EU with a patent regime that explicitly excluded software and business processing was clearly established.

However, European Parliament does not seemed to stand up against the Commision basically throwing out all ammendment made by the European Parliament. Also how comes that the Conservative Party in the UK is not putting more pressure on the Labour government to demand that the Commission must include the ammendment by the European Parliament in theior directive. As far as I have heard only the governments of Germany and Belgium seem to stand up for the European Parliament on this issue. Isn't the Conservative Party concerned about the consequences this bad directive from the Commision will have on the small and medium-sized businesses in the UK?

We will continue to press the Commission and Council to produce a revised proposal that will achieve its political objectives, be fully compatible with existing patent law, and provide a clearly understood regime for inventions.

I really hope you do this, while I am concerned reading the inconsistencies in your e-mail that your are really doing so.

Further than that I encourage you to step out of the thinking of the industrial age. Patent laws and the new proposals are still left in the 19th and early 20th century. The information age needs new ideas and thinking on these issues. A monopoly granted by laws must have a good justification. In a free-market society this is not a God-given right. Actually, interestingly I woudl like to refer you to the US Constitution. In contast to the current policies in the USA, the constitution gives a very good spirit for patent and copyright laws in Article I section 8:

"The Congress shall have Power To ....
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;"

Interestingly the Founding Fathers seemed to have had more wisdom on this issue than the European Coucil has today. The justification for the exclusive rights are the promotion of progress of Science and useful Arts. There is no mentioning of an absolute right, nor is there any mentioning of property or ownership. It describes the voluntary and conditional grant of rights by society for the purpose to the mutual benefit of society.

I believe we are on the dawn of a new age. The innovation that Open Source is showing us on a daily basis shows that industrial view of ownership of ideas is not condusive for society nor for small and medium sized businesses. Without software patents, small and medium-sized businesses and corporations can compete on a level playing field. Innovation will increase in unbelieable measures. The number of small and medium sized business strating up will be unimaginable. In contrast software patents will sland the competition unjustifiably towards big multi-national corporations, since only those organisation have the resources to get the patents, protect the patents and defend against unjustifiable patent infringment claims. The small and medium sized businesses and all of the society will loose without a chance. Innovation will be stifled.

I do not believe I can support such a position with a good conscience,
therefore I am still looking to find the party and candidates that I can vote for in the enxt election in June.

Yours sincerely,
Malcolm Harbour MEP

Yours sincerely,
Ralph Janke (Dipl.-Inf, M.Sc Computer Science, Certified Manager, Student LLB, Small business owner)