Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU Ambassadors vote to back Software Patents

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU Ambassadors vote to back Software Patents
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 15:34:19 +0000

On Saturday 08 May 2004 13:54, A. S. Bradbury wrote:
> On Saturday 08 May 2004 14:46, Tom Chance wrote:
> > Write to your local MEPs. Write a letter, then slightly change it in
> > these three ways:
>
> So I should write to all 8 MEPs for the West Midlands?
> (http://www.europarl.org.uk/uk_meps/westmidlands.asp)

Yes.

http://plone.ffii.org/events/2004/bxl04/mepltr

> My main query is really whether there is somebody I should ask them to talk
> to, or some action I should specifically reccomend they take? Should I be
> reacting to recent events (such as this
> http://swpat.ffii.org/news/04/cons0507/ news release?) or simply trying to
> persuade them how and why software patents are wrong.

With Conservative and Labour MEPs, the main objective is to try and reply well
to their stock reply, and get them to take your reply to their
representative. That might convince them to break party line (well, unlikely
with Tories) and if enough people do it there's a slim chance it'll persuade
the representatives (Con: Malcolm Habour, Lab: Arlene McCarthy) slightly.

With the others, the main objective is to convince them to vote for the
Parliament's version, NOT the Council's and Commission's version. If
possible, also get them to sign the Call for Action II.

For interest's sake, and because you might have more time than you're letting
on ;), have a look at this:

http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/MEP-Position-Lobbying-Guide

It's something I've been working on with some other FFII people (it's not
quite complete). We're going to try and get people across the EU to ring
their MEPs and ask them five questions, note the answers and then the FFII
will tabulate them. We'll then have a clear picture for all geeks across the
EU to see what each party's and MEP's line is. You could start making calls,
if you like, or you might just find the document helpful in writing your
letters.

Regards,
Tom