Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU Ambassadors vote to back Software Patents

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU Ambassadors vote to back Software Patents
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:18:53 +0200

 || On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:04:36 +0000
 || Tom Chance <address@hidden> wrote:

 >> Something like this is certainly needed - if you're running a
 >> campaign, you need a succinct summary of the issue that the
 >> campaigners can use to catch up on what the substance is before
 >> they relay that to whoever they are talking to.  I think a lot
 >> more people would get involved if they didn't have to do the
 >> spadework first, and could use pre-digested stuff.  But writing
 >> such stuff can be very time-consuming :-)

That is very true. It is also hard.

 tc> That it is :-) I like your approach, but unfortunately most of
 tc> the people who do that hard work within the FFII are more
 tc> interested in their own lobbying efforts, and I've found it to be
 tc> quite a lot of work to encourage them to focus more on the
 tc> thousands of other people, who'd appreciate the sort of approach
 tc> you suggest.

We've tried to do some work in that regard at the FSFE -- one of the
results is the open letter [1] that we published on Monday along with
a shorter version of our SWPAT project page [2] that links to the huge
mount of information at the FFII.

It should help newcomers to the issue to get an idea of the problem
and spreading it can help building awareness outside the "usual
suspects."

Regards,
Georg

[1] http://fsfeurope.org/swpat/letter.html