Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent - any action?

From: Chris Lale
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent - any action?
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 12:28:37 +0000

Thanks Ralph!

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

6. Questions.

From my limited experience of lobbying members of the Houses of
Parliament, I found it was recommended that the last paragraph be what
you want that person to do about it.

I realise that your needs here include getting their opinion and
feedback, but I'd still try and end with a sentence requesting they
actually do something.  Definitely don't ask if there's anything they
can do.

A very good point! What about this for a start? Please comment:

6. Please will you take urgent action?
   -----------------------------------
I presume that you are as concerned about the potential economic threat to Europe/UK as I am. - Will you express your concern to Arelene Mcarthy, the raporteur of the committee? - Will you investigate the extent to which foreign (especially US and Japanese) interests have had a disproportionate influence on the committee? For instance:

1.What is the proportion of non-European interests (in terms of stock market capitalisation) whose views have been consideredhave been considered by the committee?

2.What is the proportion of European interests (in terms of stock market capitalisation) who are in favour of the proposals?

3.Unpublished studies considered by the committee: What are the details? Who put them forwards? Can you ensure that they are published and subject to peer review before the process moves any further forwards?

 - Will you oppose any changes that allow that patenting of algorithms?

I expect that any reply will mention the "technical contribution" argument. I will work on that issue next.
Cheers,

Chris.

|  ___   Chris Lale   <address@hidden>                  |
| | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (http://www.debian.org). |
| \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications. |