Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent - any action?

From: Chris Lale
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent - any action?
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 18:16:08 +0000

Here is the structure of my proposed letter. Have I missed anything
important? There are six paragraphs:

1. About me.
    ---------
  - Who I am.
  - My interest in this field.

2.Outline of problem.
   -------------------
Are you aware that:
  - European commission is considering changing European patent
convention/law.
  - Arlene McCarthy's report is due in March 2003.
  - European Parliament will consider report.
  - Proposals change the rules to allow the patenting of software
algorithms.
  - Discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods (including
software algorithms) cannot of themselves be patented at present.

3.My concern.
   -----------
I am concerned about:
  - Potential reduction in pace, quantity and quality of European/UK
software development.
  - Negative impact on jobs in the European/UK hi-tech sector.
  - Negative imapct on European/UK small businesses (SMEs).
  - Negative impact on European/UK economy.
  - Reduction of fair competition.
  - Opening the way for some (probably foreign) company effectively to
take control of the Internet.

4. External pressure on the European Commission.
Do you recall recent problems with unchecked domination of markets in US
economic zone (US and Japan)?
  - Recent gross financial scandals.
  - Ability of large corporations to shrug off high profile court cases.
  - Microsoft's increasing domination (often near-monopoly) in operating
system, Internet browser and office software.

Are you aware that:
  - The Business Software Alliance (BSA) is an organisation of large US
companies (including Microsoft).
  - The BSA was a member of the European Commission committee examining
this issue.
  - It has been suggested that the European Commission proposal draws
significantly on BSA's views and unpublished studies.

5. An analogy to explain the problem.
    ----------------------------------
This simple example shows what might happen if the patent proposals were
applied to music rather than computer software. (For a detailed
explanation see “Software patents – a musical analogy” at
http://www.coolscience.co.uk/free-software/software-patent-music.html).
  - A foreign company has been granted patents on some combinations of
musical chords (the equivalent of computer algorithms).
  - A composer writes a new arrangement of the National Anthem (eg for a
royal occasion).
  - The foreign company has to give permission and could sue otherwise.
It would also take money from the composer.
  - Result – the country can no longer fully claim, develop, adapt or
improve its own National Anthem. Foreign companies take money and jobs
away from the country.

6. Questions.
    ---------
- Are you concerned about the consequences of the proposed changes in
European/UK patent law?
- Do you see a potential economic threat to Europe/UK from the proposals?
- Do you think that the story of the Ancient Greek's Trojan Horse
carries any warnings for the European Commission?
- Can you verify the extent of the BSA's influence on the proposals?
- Is there anything you can do to ensure that these concerns are not
realised?

Cheers,

Chris
|  ___   Chris Lale   <address@hidden>                  |
| | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (http://www.debian.org). |
| \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications. |