Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent - any action?

From: Chris Lale
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent - any action?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:45:04 +0000

Someone asked me to share replies to my software patent mailings. Here's one from the European Commission.

address@hidden wrote:
> I am referring to your e-mail, sent to Commissioner Liikanen on the
> 19.12.2002, concerning the European Commission proposal on the
> patentability of computer-implemented inventions.
>
> The Commission is aware of the concerns of the open source software
> community, on the potential negative impact of patent protection for
> software, which were expressed in the public consultation launched in
>  October 2000. The proposal has taken these concerns into account, by
>  excluding software “as such” from patentability. According to the
> proposal, patent protection will only be available for inventions
> using software, if the specific contribution made by the invention
> has a technical character.
>
> Concerning the specific points you raise in your e-mail, please note
> the following:
>
> 1. The Commission has taken due account of the comments and
> contributions of the various interested parties, received in the
> context of the public consultation. However the final content of the
> proposal is, of course, the sole responsibility of the Commission.
>
> 2. The proposal aims to clarify the conditions for patentablity of
> computer implemented inventions in the European Union. The exclusion
> of software “as such” from patentability in the proposal for a
> directive, is in line with art. 52.2 of the EPC, which also states
> that computer programmes “as such” are excluded from patentability.
>

> 3. The Commission is aware of the importance of open source software
> and is, in line with the eEurope 2002 Action plan, supporting the
> development and deployment of open source software through a variety
> of measures (IST programme, IDA programme).
>
> The proposal is currently under discussion in the Council and in the
> European Parliament, under the “co-decision” procedure.
>
> Best regards
>
> Maria Perogianni European Commission Enterprise Directorate-General
> E-busines, ICT industries and services Tel: 32-2-295.81.93
> Fax:32-2-296.95.00 e-mail: address@hidden
>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Chris Lale
>> [mailto:address@hidden Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002
>> 4:05 PM To: LIIKANEN Erkki (CAB) Subject: Software freedom
>>

>> Mr. Erkki Liikanen Commissioner for Enterprise and the Information
>> Society
>>

>> Dear Mr Liikanen,
>>
>> I have recently heard of the European Commission’s proposal to
>> allow software to be patented.
>>
>> I am concerned that the commission is jeopardising the future of
>> open source software/free software through its proposal to allow
>> software patenting. Open source software/free software  is software
>>  whose source code is openly published It is often developed by
>> voluntary efforts and is usually available at no charge under a
>> licence (defined by the Open Source Initiative or the Free Software
>> Foundation) which prevents it from being redistributed under a more
>> restrictive licence.

> [...]

|  ___   Chris Lale   <address@hidden>                  |
| | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (http://www.debian.org). |
| \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications. |