Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fsfe-uk digest, Vol 1 #164

From: Neil Levine
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fsfe-uk digest, Vol 1 #164
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:08:22 +0100

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 01:33:35PM +0100, Andrew Savory a ecrit:

> Hopefully the next one (when will that be?) can start in a more formal
> setting.

Depending on numbers, we can use the offices here at Claranet near Old
Street.

> Would you care to raise some of the important issues for debate now, if
> you feel not enough time was given to them at the meeting?

The issues will  generated by those who favour closed,
proprietary software, those who seek to rest control from the user to
the corporation and those campaigning for restrictive legislation.

The debate on Saturday concerned how the issues the AFFS might be
involved in should be framed. One camp believe that the issues should
be discussed purely in practical technical terms , the other that
concepts should be framed within a wider discussion about software
patents etc

This seems to be quite a fundamental concept that needs to be agreed
on before issues such as the how's and where's can be answered.
Tactics can only be discussed once the strategy is agreed upon.
Agreeing to disagree is a delaying tactic only then.

Neil Levine                             http://www.yoyo.org