Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fsfe-uk digest, Vol 1 #164

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fsfe-uk digest, Vol 1 #164
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:38:03 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Neil Levine wrote:

> Depending on numbers, we can use the offices here at Claranet near Old
> Street.

That would definitely be useful, thanks.

> The debate on Saturday concerned how the issues the AFFS might be
> involved in should be framed. One camp believe that the issues should
> be discussed purely in practical technical terms , the other that
> concepts should be framed within a wider discussion about software
> patents etc

Yep. I think Phil has already quite neatly summarised the "avoid
associating AFFS with the software patents" part of the debate. I'm not
sure I caught enough of the "purely in practical technical terms" bit.

> This seems to be quite a fundamental concept that needs to be agreed
> on before issues such as the how's and where's can be answered.

Seems fair. Can we knock this into shape as something we can come up with
a firm decision on, then? How would you phrase the question? "Should AFFS
actively campaign on issues such as software patents or simply publish a
position statement and leave it at that?" I think it would be difficult to
make it a more generic question as it depends heavily on the issue at hand
and how the issue has been argued elsewhere (with what levels of success)
before.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden