Re: [Fsfe-uk] List naming?

From: E L Tonkin
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] List naming?
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:46:00 +0100 (BST)

IMHO, the bottom line is this: very few people have ever read an iso
standard of any variety, whereas world+dog use TLDs.

On 7 Aug 2001, MJ Ray wrote:

[ cut bit re: confusing the Ukranians]

> Why?  OK, the list description may give them a clue, but we appear to
> be where their list ought to be...

You won't find many Ukranians on the Internet who never typed in a web
address finishing with the Ukranian TLD. This being the case, I contest
the assumption that an obsecure iso standard, politically correct as it
may be, will offer a better convention for list naming than a known
(flawed?) TLD system already does.

> Probably not.  I just raised it as an inconsistency to see if we
> should correct it.  I'm surprised at the response.

I think the response you've noticed comes from the fact that this issue
reaches heights of p-c daftness exceeded only by the mercifully concluded
logo wars.

As my father often tells me, English law and common sense are supposed to
be inseparable, and both are defined by 'what the bloke on the Clapham
omnibus would say'. In this case I think the bloke on the Clapham omnibus
would probably say, "Who cares?"

Em

NB. Do not take my every word too seriously since this indicates
deficiency of sense of humour.

// OLDSIG "All bad art is the result of good intentions." - Oscar Wilde

/* START NEWSIG */ Processor: (n.) a device for converting sense to
nonsense at the speed of electricity, or (rarely) the reverse.  - Tonkin's
First Computer Dictionary