Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 12:58:18 -0400

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 10:58 AM Anuj Verma <anujv@iitbhilai.ac.in> wrote:

> > Yeah. We should basically think of overlaying or combining two
> > distance fields, generated independently one for each contour.
> > Has this been discussed in the literature?
>
> No, it has not been. That sounds interesting, thanks for the idea.
> I will think about it tomorrow, perhaps it might solve the issue. My
> only concern would be the additional memory usage, because some
> glyphs have many contours. But yeah we can turn it ON only for
> overlapping contours.

I meant it all along but perhaps it is hard to do it on the fly. Ther
rules seem to be as follows:

1) Both outside (both positive), choose a smaller value
2) Both inside (both negative), choose a smaller value as in (-5 < -4)
not by absolute value
3) one inside one outside, choose a smaller value as in (-3 < 2) not
by absolute value

I.e. always choose a smaller value combining two contours so it seems