Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 07:49:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Anuj,

> I have mostly completed the bitmap to SDF renderer (bsdf), there are
> only a few things remaining such as support for all pixel modes
> (currently it only work with FT_PIXEL_MODE_GRAY), and warnings etc.

Excellent, thanks!

> Next, I will be finishing the bsdf renderer and then writing the
> documentation for all the functions (should I write for structs as
> well? i.e. detailed description of all the members).

Yes, please.  The more the merrier :-) To be serious: A few months in
the future even you will start to forget most of the details.  Always
have in mind that people will look at your stuff who have never seen
it before, and who don't have the time to walk through the complete
code to get all the necessary information.

> Also is there any other kind of documentation that I should add?

I don't think so.  Will tell you otherwise :-)

> After that I have not decided what to do.  I have a few things in
> mind (adding floating point support, removing overlaps and a few
> more).  But we can discuss that once I have finished the
> documentation.  (Also, I will keep improving the existing
> algorithms, optimizing and removing any bug that I find along the
> way)

In mid-August I suggest that you start cleaning up your git branch,
this is, you create a new branch and populate it with new commits that
introduce SDF and BSDF in small, incremental, and logical steps.  This
mainly affects the stuff that has to be added to already existing
files.  Code in new files don't have to be handled that way, of
course, if it doesn't make sense.

> I have updated the demo
> (https://github.com/preversewharf45/ft2sdf-demo) and this time I
> have added the help screen ('?' or F1), I have also included a font
> `CascadiaCode.ttf' which is full of overlaps, so that you can
> compare both the renderers.

Great!  Will test soon.

    Werner