Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Anuj Verma
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 17:08:56 +0530

Hello Werner, Alexei,

I have mostly completed the bitmap to SDF renderer (bsdf), there
are only a few things remaining such as support for all pixel
modes (currently it only work with FT_PIXEL_MODE_GRAY),
and warnings etc. I did say before that the bitmap to SDF will require
less memory than the other, but that is not the case, after I read the
algorithm and implemented it, both the renderers have similar memory
requirements. The only advantage of theĀ  bsdf renderer is that it can
handle glyphs with overlaps.

Next, I will be finishing the bsdf renderer and then writing the documentation
for all the functions (should I write for structs as well? i.e. detailed description
of all the members). Also is there any other kind of documentation that I should
add ?
After that I have not decided what to do. I have a few things in mind (adding
floating point support, removing overlaps and a few more). But we can discuss
that once I have finished the documentation. (Also, I will keep improving the
existing algorithms, optimizing and removing any bug that I find along the way)

I have updated the demo (https://github.com/preversewharf45/ft2sdf-demo)
and this time I have added the help screen ('?' or F1), I have also included
a font `CascadiaCode.ttf' which is full of overlaps, so that you can compare
both the renderers.

Thanks,
Anuj