Re: GSOC Build tests

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GSOC Build tests
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 07:16:29 +0200 (CEST)

>> This looks very good, thanks!  Indeed, the archive size of almost
>> one Gigabyte is far too large for practical purposes.  We have now
>> to find solutions in the next month how to refine that.
>
> Right now it runs ~12 fonts that have ~3k glyphs each; this is why
> it's so large.  I think the best solution is splitting up runs of
> the tests to limit it to specific fonts and glyph ranges.  That way
> you can download the smaller subset of tests that fail.

Yes.

>> What do you think about using a control file that specifies which
>> fonts to use, which glyphs in those fonts to use at which sizes,
>> modes, etc.?
>
> The scripts are already basically structured to do this so adding
> that should be easy.  If you could give me an idea of how you would
> like the config file structured I can write a parser easily enough.

I guess people would use YAML syntax for that today; this saves you
writing a parser by your own.

On the other hand, YAML can't be easily parsed with shell scripts – if
necessary, don't hesitate to use a script language (Python, Perl,
etc., it's basically up to you).

>> I think some CSS magic to make the results more pleasing would also
>> be nice, but this is an extra of no particular importance
>> currently.
>
> I've never been the best at design.  If someone can give me a design
> mockup or something similar they'd like it to look to though I can
> make it match fairly easily.

OK, let's delay this then.

> Here is a small subset of the glyphs. I've manually modified one in
> gimp to show the image diffing.
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y5MZ1laLK0UrZyCxbYIq3sptFDIfhoSg/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.  However, after unpacking and clicking on

  ft-tests
  → index.html
  → ft-LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf-16-report
  → ftgrid_0002.png

(which links to `ftgrid_0002.html`), I get an empty page.

Looking around I've found the difference png – what do you think of
slightly coloring the differences?  And for comparing B/W images, I
remember that I've coloured points only in the reference image as
green and in the new image as red...

    Werner