Re: [Freebangfont-devel] template font

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] template font
Date: 23 Apr 2003 00:02:43 +0530

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 23:33, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 April 2003 11:29 am, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 11:38, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> > > b. Both pango and whatever scheme openoffice on linux uses has a bug when
> > > it comes to rendering a conjunct starting with 'ba'. The 'ba + hasanta'
> > > is converted to a ba-phala even when not appropriate. For example,
> > >
> > > sh ba hasanta da
> > >
> > > is rendered as
> > >
> > > sha-baphala da
> >
> > Yes - this problem exists with Akaash too.
> > Will investigate.
>
> I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the fonts, rather it's a bug in
> the rendering (either Pango/openoffice or Freetype). The problem is that
> ba-phala is also supposed to be represented by ba + hasanta, but only when at
> the end of the syllable. e.g.,
>
> ja + hasanta + ba
>
> should be reordered (by the rendering client, not the font) as
>
> ja + ba + hasanta
>
> On the other hand, the relevant syllable in jabda would be
>
> ba + hasanta + da
>
> Someone is supposed to distinguish between the two (I'm not sure who or how)
> but doesn't.
>
> Another bug is with ya + ya-phala, e.g.
>
> aa ra hasanta ya hasanta ya
>
> The ya-phala appears twice (again this happens both in pango and openoffice
> but not in Yudit).
>
> I think these need to be handled separately, but haven't because there are no
> similar things in Devanagari.

I believe that this is a bug in the original IBM ICU.
Both OOo and Pango's Indic rendering codes are derived from ICU, so
before trying to fix anything with pango/OOo, we need to find out who's
in charge of ICU.
Abhijit-da - any ideas??
Of course, we may try to file a bug at the OOo and GNOME bugzilla.
-cheers-
Sayamindu

PS: Which version of OOo are you using?

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta [ http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/ ]

Speak out on social and cultural issues
                at
        PeacefulAction.Org
    http://www.peacefulaction.org

The best way to accelerate a Windoze box is at 9.8 meters per second per
second.