Re: [Freebangfont-devel] template font

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] template font
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:03:55 -0500

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 11:29 am, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 11:38, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> > b. Both pango and whatever scheme openoffice on linux uses has a bug when
> > it comes to rendering a conjunct starting with 'ba'. The 'ba + hasanta'
> > is converted to a ba-phala even when not appropriate. For example,
> >
> > sh ba hasanta da
> >
> > is rendered as
> >
> > sha-baphala da
>
> Yes - this problem exists with Akaash too.
> Will investigate.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the fonts, rather it's a bug in
the rendering (either Pango/openoffice or Freetype). The problem is that
ba-phala is also supposed to be represented by ba + hasanta, but only when at
the end of the syllable. e.g.,

ja + hasanta + ba

should be reordered (by the rendering client, not the font) as

ja + ba + hasanta

On the other hand, the relevant syllable in jabda would be

ba + hasanta + da

Someone is supposed to distinguish between the two (I'm not sure who or how)
but doesn't.

Another bug is with ya + ya-phala, e.g.

aa ra hasanta ya hasanta ya

The ya-phala appears twice (again this happens both in pango and openoffice
but not in Yudit).

I think these need to be handled separately, but haven't because there are no
similar things in Devanagari.

Deepayan