Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Test file for fonts

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Test file for fonts
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:45:51 -0600

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 12:04 am, Kaushik Ghose wrote:
> Hi All,
> Well spotted Deepayan. My rusty bangla - I took that to be a conjunct -
> its actually ha-y-ri kar ! and so it should be
>
> 0x09b9 0x09c3
>
> (হৃ)
>
> PS. does anyone know the use of 0x09c4 (ri-ri) , what is that, could
> anyone explain to a "mukkho"

It's a remnant of devanagari, like dirgha LI (0x09e1), and not unlike the
normal LI (0x098c), which at least appears in Bengali text books. I have
never seen any of these used anywhere in bengali (except perhaps in
aforementioned bengali text books, where, if I remember correctly, 'Lichu'
sometimes used to be spelled with a LI).

However, these might be necessary for other languages using the bengali
script, and definitely for writing sanskrit in bengali, which is not entirely
uncommon.