Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Optimizing

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Optimizing
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:07:35 -0600

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 07:26 pm, Michael Steidley wrote:
> > C. Regarding the Bengali Glyphs
> > ===============================
> >
> > Michael was going through some of the fonts, and he reported to me that
> > the fonts
> > were good, but some more optimisation could be done (Likhan's size can be
> > reduced
> > by around 25%, for instance).
> > Michael - waiting for you to speak on this :).
>
> Please take a look at this to see what I mean about optimizing the glyphs:
>
> http://www.ariesgraphics.net/freebangfont/optimized.html

One observation regarding this. I tend to edit my fonts in Pfaedit (and as far
as I know, there are no other truetype editors on GNU/Linux). Pfaedit stores
glyphs as cubic splines (aka postscript) internally, but truetype needs
quadratic splines. So, when simple and fairly well-optimized postscript
glyphs in Pfaedit are converted to truetype, it uses some approximation of
cubic splines by quadratic splines which invariably loses any elegance the
original cubic outline had. In particular, the number of control points
increases by a lot.

Deepayan