Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Thief stone

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Thief stone
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:59:17 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht"

Hi,

Tacvek wrote:
Oh, I think you misunderstood us: Enigma is running flawlessly,
but the Microsoft(c) Image(c) Previewer(c) is buggy (or incomplete).
Some other picture viewers, too; I think Irfan View has the same
problem...
Just try to open thief-template or some of the new shadows (sh-pull?)
under Windows(c).

Well actually it would affect any application that uses Window's PNG renderer.

Only XP seems to be affected. W2K does not show any problems.

Interesting.

As I just created new Icons with Gimp 2.2.8 that did not show any problems I reloaded the affected images with this Gimp version and saved them again. The resulting images do not show the Windows problems.

hmmm... that is good. It is still probably a good idea to run them through pngcrush or optipng, as the other images have been. This would have minimal impact on the size of the zip's or tarballs, but would slightly reduce the file size on disk.

As for the cause of the problem: My current guess is that the images are using the ability to apply a different filter to each scanline, which I assume is a relatively uncommonly used feature. Incorrectly implementing that could definately cause the image to appear to go random, and is a bug that is easy to miss. optipng and pngcrush appear to only generate images that use the same filter for all scanlines, which would explain why they are able to fix the problem.

However, that is only a guess, and there is a pretty good chance I am wrong. Anyway, this is getting offtopic, so I shall stop.