[Enigma-devel] Re: Reordering Enigma level packs.

From: Karen Pouelle
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Re: Reordering Enigma level packs.
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:01:08 +0000

>> 1 - very easy
>> 2 - easy
>> 3 - requires some experience
>> 4 - difficult
>> 5 - very difficult

>> If we had those scores for every level, we could even
>> display them in the level menu!

>I hadn't considered ranking the difficulty along several
>axes yet, but it sounds very interesting to me. This is
>a fine compromise between strict difficulty ordering and
>relative ordering : we'll just have to rank the levels by
>"overall difficulty" (say int+dex+pat if we follow your >example),
but make sure that we "shuffle" hard "int" levels, >hard "dex" levels
and hard "pat" levels among the overall >hard levels. Plus, ranking
levels in such a way is quite an >objective alternative. Our
appreciations shoudn't differ that >much.

>I would just add a forth (and minor) axe : knowledge of
>the game. Some levels may be found very easy by us
>harsh Enigma players ;-), because they don't require
>much intelligence, dexterity or patience. But if you have
>to do something "smithing a sword by firing a laser on a >hammer" in
order to succeed, beginners may take ages
>to find the solution. We could rank the levels along the
>knowledge scale with only 3 levels (e.g. 1-beginner,
>2-advanced, 3-expert), and just make sure the levels
>order fits this condition.

>But Daniel's system suits me very well !

> Aurore.

> PS: maybe it would be time to change the topic ?! ;-)

I did change the topic 6 days ago (see below)

Also, I think the "special knowledge" criteria should
be a note instead of a numerical ranking so it's easy
to tell just WHEN the trick was introduced and not
gauge following levels as harshly (because the
specific trick mentioned should have already been
learned).

Otherwise, I'll do my best to rate the many levels
this way - but who will gather and process the
rating survey?