Re: [Enigma-devel] Improved version of Sentry Duty level

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Improved version of Sentry Duty level
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:01:05 +0200

> I think this idea could work very well, and I like the idea of
> reordering the level packs to reflect difficulty and putting them in
> bundles of 100 each, but it might actually reorder the levels too much
> by difficulty, leaving 20 or so very hard levels at the end that would
> discourage players.  I remember from the original games that while
> overall the levels increased in difficulty, there were rarely
> consecutive very hard levels -- many of the levels above 90 could be
> solved in just a few tries and in just a few minutes.  I think mixing
> up hard levels and easy levels to some extent could reduce frustration
> for new players.  Maybe instead of using a rating system purely of
> difficulty, we could use one of difficulty and interest combined, or
> some other factors.  I'm not sure there will be a problem with
> ordering levels completely by difficulty, but it's a good thing to
> keep in mind.

I like the idea of reordering the current levels into four level packs
of ~100 levels each.  Is anyone willing to coordinate this effort?  Some
of the old levels could also use a small update (use newer stone
types/floor tiles, add easy mode, more hints).  It's probably a good
deal of work, but it's one of the last remaining things that need to be
done for a 1.0 release.  The first level pack should also gently
introduce most of the objects in the game.

Also, I agree with Jacob that a strict ordering by difficulty is
probably not what we want.  The first 50 landscapes should be relatively
easy, though.

- Daniel