[Enigma-devel] Reordering Enigma level packs.

From: Karen Pouelle
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Reordering Enigma level packs.
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:12:23 +0000

On 7/12/05, Daniel Heck <address@hidden> wrote:
> I like the idea of reordering the current levels into four level packs
> of ~100 levels each.  Is anyone willing to coordinate this effort?

I will post updates into a web area and help coordinate efforts.

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/pretzel/Enigma/reorder/

It may be easier to do with an Enigma release which includes the indexname,
however.  Until then, I've created a "virtual" level pack Enigma1 through 4
with indexes pointing still to the levels root as a starting point.

> Some  of the old levels could also use a small update (use newer
> stone types/floor tiles, add easy mode, more hints).  It's probably a good
> deal of work, but it's one of the last remaining things that need to be
> done for a 1.0 release.  The first level pack should also gently
> introduce most of the objects in the game.

I can help with that with scripts to find/update.  I think if possible every
level should have an easy mode, even easy levels.  This would mean
level packs with update files probably should have the index entry point
to the new file inside the level forlder with the revision bumped and the
indexname still pointing back to the level root - so as changes are made,
the level packs slowly change from virtual to actual.

> Also, I agree with Jacob that a strict ordering by difficulty is
> probably not what we want.  The first 50 landscapes should be relatively
> easy, though.

Much of that will be subjective and matter of taste and opinion - so more
feedback will give best overall results.   I'll create a test install and start
the process as best as I can. Feedback and submissions wanted!

Karen "Pretzel"