Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma level problems (0.81).

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma level problems (0.81).
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:12:19 +0200

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:43:18 +0200 Ingo van Lil wrote:

> > Anyone else - do you experience the same behavior? The bolders ought to
> > be lined up in nice tidy grid (just like dancers, that's it). At my box,
> > they desync after one or two turns and are misaligned...
>
> Yep, same here. It doesn't happen in Engima 0.81, so it has been
> introduced after the last release.

I introduced the desynchronisation on purpose a few months ago.  My
original intent was to improve the performance of some of the Oxyd 2
levels with many bolder stones.  By varying the start time of animations
randomly I wanted to distribute the screen redraws more uniformly over
the game cycles, instead of having the redraw (almost) the whole screen
every 80ms or so.  Because animations and game logic are coupled, this
desyncs the stone movement.

I didn't realize this breaks some levels, maybe it's better to revert
the change or use a less ad-hoc method of balancing the load in the
display module.

Cheers,
Daniel