Re: what is the purpose of "This link has already been stored"?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: what is the purpose of "This link has already been stored"?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 13:09:56 +0000

Anthony Carrico <acarrico@memebeam.org> writes:

>> Makes sense. It is a +1 for a defcustom.
>> Although I still believe that we should change the current default, even
>> if leaving an option to fall back to previous behaviour.
>
> I don't think there is much reason to complicate the interface with a
> defcustom. The current default is an error, so changing the default
> doesn't break the workflow of anyone using it the way Samuel describes
> (unless I'm missing something).

What Samuel described is a sequence of M-x org-store-link followed by
M-x org-insert-all-links. With such workflow, user can expect that the
links are going to be stored in order. If we are instead shuffle the
stored links, M-x org-insert-all-links may result in unexpected
behaviour.

Currently, when link to place is already stored, not error is thrown, a
message is displayed, no link is stored, and the stored link list is not
altered.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,