what is the purpose of "This link has already been stored"?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: what is the purpose of "This link has already been stored"?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 18:35:56 -0700

in maint and bugfix i frequently do org-store-link on a
heading that has a properties drawer with an id in it.

my intent is to store it so that i can paste the link later
with org-insert-link.

i frequently get "This link has already been
stored".  perhaps this is meant to teach me that i can find
it in org-insert-link?  there are 2 problems with that for
me in practice:

1) i want to store it anyway so i can use the
   mindless store-insert combination.
2) org-insert-link, with my ido setup, and i am aware other
   completion mechanisms exist but find it difficult to
   switch, offers as completion candidates a completely
   useless list.

   idk how to show you the list but it looks kinda sorta like this:
     id:2134123-11234123-41234123--12341
     eww:
     gnus:
     id:44242423-23452-345-234-523452-345

   as there is no description and the presumably useful ids
   are near te bottom it is useless to try to use
   org-insert-link.  so idk what the solution is.

   i tried setting (setq org-link-make-description-function
   t) but that made no noticeable difference.  i am probably
   doing somethign wrong someplace.  i hope using ido is ok.
   i'd switch to vertico if i could get it closer to my ido.

   what i woul dlike to see is, for there to be no
   error/warning in org-store-link, and for org-insert-link
   to show me link descriptions and maybe id also.

   ideas?

   thanks.

--
The Kafka Pandemic